For the shortbread base:
1 1/2 sticks (170g) unsalted butter, left out of the fridge for 20 mins
1 3/4 cups (245g) plain flour
2 tbsp cornflour
3 tbsp icing sugar
Pinch of salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
For the topping:
12 oz (340g) jar of raspberry jam/preserves; I used seedless
1/2 cup – 2/3 cup (45g-60g) desiccated coconut, toasted if desired
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F and grease and line an 8×8 inch square pan.
- Place butter, flour, cornflour, sugar and salt into a large bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer and mix on med-high speed for 3-4 minutes until you have coarse breadcrumbs and an even, crumbly mixture (see note for more info). Add in the vanilla extract and mix for around 30 seconds to incorporate it.
- Tip the shortbread into your prepared pan and press the mixture into a level layer with the bottom of a cup/spatula/clean hands. Press it in pretty hard! It should look smooth and tightly packed.
- Place in the oven for 12-15 minutes until slightly puffy and it feels slightly firm, you’re not looking for any colouring at this stage.
- Visit Raspberry Coconut Bars @ anniesnoms.com for full instructions.