1 1/2 lbs onions (about 3 large onions), thinly sliced
3 Tbs. butter
1/4 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
2 Tbs. flour
6 cups beef stock
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 piece celery just a small chunk, not the whole rib
2 bay leaves
8 slices french baguette bread
4 tablespoons butter melted
2 cloves garlic halved
1 cup Gruyere cheese , fresh grated
1/3 cup parmesan cheese , fresh grated
- Add butter and onions to a large pot over medium heat. Season with a little salt and pepper and cook until softened.
- Add sugar and continue to gently stir until onions become golden brown and caramelized, about 25 minutes. Careful to not let them burn!
- Add the flour and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Add beef stock, wine, thyme, celery and bay leaves. Cook partially covered for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Visit French Onion Soup @ tastesbetterfromscratch.com for full instructions.