2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 TBSPs unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsps baking powder
1/2 tsps salt
14 TBSPs unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, plus more for rolling
2 eggs, room temperature
2 tsps vanilla extract
1 tsp white vinegar
1 TBSP red food coloring
8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
4 TBSP unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups powdered sugar, not packed
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Prepare baking pans with parchment paper or silicon baking mats .
- In a large bowl mix together 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour, 2 TBSPs cocoa powder, 1/2 tsp baking powder, and 1/2 tsp salt.
- Cream together the 14 TBSPs (1 3/4 sticks) butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the eggs, one at a time, then 2 tsps vanilla, 1 tsp white vinegar, and 1 TBSP red food coloring.
- Slowly add in the flour mixture a little bit at a time until the dough is fully combined.
- Using a medium scoop make 1 inch balls out of the dough (about 1 1/2 TBSPs worth), roll them in sugar, and space them out 2 inches apart on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 7 to 10 minutes or until the edges of the cookies being to crisp.
- Remove from the oven and after two minutes, remove the cookies from the baking sheets and transfer to cooling racks. Allow to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, mix together the butter and cream cheese until fully combined. Add the vanilla extract. Slowly mix in the powdered sugar until fully combined. Spread over the cooled cookies.
Original recipe visit: Red Velvet Sugar Cookies @ wineandglue.com