½ cup water
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ cup sugar
18 oz (2 ¼ cups) bittersweet chocolate chips (or chopped chocolate)*
1 cup butter
1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Grease one 9” round cake pan (or glass pie plate) and set aside. (Note: I always cut a piece of parchment paper into a circle with “handles” and place it on the bottom of the pan. Then I grease the pan with the parchment paper in it).
- In a small saucepan over medium heat combine the water, salt and sugar. Stir until completely dissolved and set aside.
- Melt the chocolate chips and pour into the bowl of a standing mixer.
- Cut the butter into 1 TBS pieces and beat it into the chocolate, 1 piece at a time.
- Mix in the warm sugar/water mixture until combined.
- Slowly beat in the eggs, one at a time until completely smooth.
- Add vanilla and mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan.
- Put the cake pan in a larger pan and fill the larger pan with boiling water until it reaches halfway up the sides of your cake pan. Be very careful not to get water into the cake! I like to put the pan with the cake in it on the oven rack before pouring the water. That way I just have to slide it in and close the door!
- Bake cake in the water bath at 300 degrees F for 45 minutes. The center will still look wet, but the edge will look done.
- Remove the cake from the water bath and let it cool on a wire rack.
- Chill cake overnight (or for at least 6 hours) in the pan!
- Carefully lift your parchment paper out of the pan and the cake with it. Put it on a serving plate and sprinkle with powdered sugar! Serve with fresh berries, ice cream, etc!
*I’ve had the best results with 60% or darker. My favorite is Ghirardelli 60% cocoa chips!
Original recipe and more pictures visit: Flourless Chocolate Truffle Cake @ joyfoodsunshine.com